• Social

SCUOLA GRANDE DELLA MISERICORDIA
From July 13th to November 5th, 2017, the Scuola Grande di Santa Maria della Misericordia in Venice becomes Magister’s place of baptism to celebrate the master of the revolution in Western art: Magister Giotto, the first in a series of narratives of great visual impact on great masters of Italian art.
Located in the Sestiere of Cannaregio – 14 minutes from the railway station and 17 minutes from St. Mark’s Square – the monumental building of the Scuola, illuminated by the reflection of the water, dominates the north side of Venice. It is a unique building, set in a fascinating part of town where the great Venetian architecture slips into the water of the lagoon. Divided into two floors (respectively 10 and 12 metres high) for a total of 28,000 cubic metres, the Scuola Grande di Santa Maria della Misericordia in Venice is the second largest space in town after the Doge’s Palace.

The Scuola Grande di Santa Maria della Misericordia is one of the seven great Venetian Scuole founded in the Middle Ages as a secular mark of devotion and solidarity, which played a fundamental role in the political, social and religious fields of the Venetian Republic.
The original building in the Gothic style dates back to 1308 and was expanded several times over the centuries. In 1532, the Florentine architect and sculptor Jacopo Sansovino began building the large square building of the Scuola Nuova according to classical canons. The interiors, completed only after the death of the architect, were rich in works of art worthy of the importance of the Scuola Grande. Veronese, Zanchi, Lazzarini, Pellegrini and, not least, Domenico Tintoretto, son of the famous Jacopo, are only some of the names responsible for the decorations in a building that still retains the interest and prestige with which it was designed. There are also some drawings attributed to Palladio which, is believed to portray the Scuola Grande della Misericordia.
Opened in 1583, the work on the Scuola continued for about two hundred years, but was abandoned with the end of the Serenissima. In the nineteenth century, it was used for several purposes: a military headquarters, warehouse, the State Archives. From 1914 and for over seventy years, it became the centre of Venetian sport, and in particular of the basketball team of the Reyer sports club. In 1991, the Municipality commission its restoration, which, after a variety of different phases, concluded with the inauguration of the building in April 2016.

Thanks to project financing and a collaboration between the City of Venice and SMV, the Scuola today is a multifunctional and technologically advanced cultural centre that can host exhibitions, events, conferences, thus picking up on its original function and fulfilling it in a contemporary manner.
The original building in the Gothic style dates back to 1308 and was expanded several times over the centuries. In 1532, the Florentine architect and sculptor Jacopo Sansovino began building the large square building of the Scuola Nuova according to classical canons. The interiors, completed only after the death of the architect, were rich in works of art worthy of the importance of the Scuola Grande. Veronese, Zanchi, Lazzarini, Pellegrini and, not least, Domenico Tintoretto, son of the famous Jacopo, are only some of the names responsible for the decorations in a building that still retains the interest and prestige with which it was designed. There are also some drawings attributed to Palladio which, is believed to portray the Scuola Grande della Misericordia.
Opened in 1583, the work on the Scuola continued for about two hundred years, but was abandoned with the end of the Serenissima. In the nineteenth century, it was used for several purposes: a military headquarters, warehouse, the State Archives. From 1914 and for over seventy years, it became the centre of Venetian sport, and in particular of the basketball team of the Reyer sports club. In 1991, the Municipality commission its restoration, which, after a variety of different phases, concluded with the inauguration of the building in April 2016.

Thanks to project financing and a collaboration between the City of Venice and SMV, the Scuola today is a multifunctional and technologically advanced cultural centre that can host exhibitions, events, conferences, thus picking up on its original function and fulfilling it in a contemporary manner.

How to reach us

From Piazzale Roma or the Railway Station 
On foot in approximately 15 minutes. By vaporetto
 Linea 1 (alight at San Marcuola - Ca’ d’Oro) Linea 2 (San Marcuola) Linea 4.1 e 5.1 (alight at Fondamenta Nove)

From St. Mark's Square
On foot in approximately 15 minutes. By vaporetto
 Linea 1 (alight at San Marcuola - Ca’ d’Oro)

From Marco Polo Airport
Vaporetto ALILAGUNA 
Linea Blu (alight at Fondamenta Nove)

how to reach us

From Piazzale Roma or the Railway Station 
On foot in approximately 15 minutes. By vaporetto
 Linea 1 (alight at San Marcuola - Ca’ d’Oro) Linea 2 (San Marcuola) Linea 4.1 e 5.1 (alight at Fondamenta Nove)

From St. Mark's Square 
On foot in approximately 15 minutes. By vaporetto
 Linea 1 (alight at San Marcuola - Ca’ d’Oro)

From Marco Polo Airport 
Vaporetto ALILAGUNA 
Linea Blu (alight at Fondamenta Nove)